World War I Battlefields - Classic Group, 2022
Brochure Type: Europe & Britain: 2022
An emotive and poignant journey through the countryside of Northern France, dotted with war cemeteries and memorials for those who fell in 'the war to end all wars'.
- Arras: Choose between visiting the Canadian National Memorial at Vimy Ridge and walk among the original trenches or alternatively, visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Experience, to commemorate the 1.7 million Commonwealth causalities from the World Wars.
- Somme Battlefields: Venture through the battlefields of the Somme, as your local historian explains how brave soldiers fought tirelessly for five months.
- Ypres: Tour the Ypres Salient Battlefields and hear the final salute to the fallen as the Last Post is sounded at the Menin Gate.
- Fromelles: See the Australian cemetery, commemorating one of the darkest days in Australian military history.
- Albert: Hear the legends of the Golden Virgin, and later Leaning Virgin statue atop the church.
- Beaumont-Hamel: Explore Beaumont-Hamel, once the site of one of the largest allied offensives of the war.
- Villers-Bretonneux: Visit the Franco-Australian Museum in the local Victoria School and learn how Australian soldiers saved this town.
- Le Hamel: Learn about the battle that lasted just 93 minutes, 3 minutes more than calculated by Lieutenant General John Monash.
- Peronne: Like many others, this town was almost completely destroyed during German occupation, and was finally liberated by Australian Troops in September 1918.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Call (412) 331-2244 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15392344
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 3/31/2021
- 4 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||LILLE||Ypres Battlefields and Lille: Depart Meridien Etoile Paris at 09:00 bound for Flanders Fields.Visit the Ypres Salient battlefields, including Hill 60, Polygon Wood, the Passchendaele Memorial and Tyne Cot Cemetery. In the town of Ypres, hear the Last Post sounded at the Menin Gate. Continue to your hotel and join your Travel Director for a Welcome Drink.|
Mercure Lille Centre Grand Place Hotel.
|Day 2||AMIENS||Fromelles and Vimy Ridge: See the Australian cemetery of Fromelles, commemorating one of the darkest days in Australian military history. Explore Arras with Insight Choice. Spend time at Vimy Ridge and walk among original trenches or learn about the efforts of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Continue to Amiens and perhaps visit the impressive cathedral? (Breakfast)|
Mercure Amiens Cathedrale Hotel, Amiens.
|Day 3||AMIENS||The Battlefields of the Somme: Meet your Local Expert to explore the key battlefields of the Somme. Visit the Lochnagar Crater, the South African and New Zealand Memorials at Longueval, Newfoundland Memorial and Museum and the Franco-British Memorial at Thiepval. Enjoy a stop in Albert to see the church and hear the legends of the Golden Virgin statue atop - once a beacon to many soldiers who passed through the town during the Battle of the Somme. Afterwards, explore Beaumont-Hamel, one of the largest allied offensives of the war, and return to Amiens where you will have the afternoon at leisure. Maybe do a little shopping or spend some time in the historic Saint-Leu district? (Breakfast)|
Mercure Amiens Cathedrale Hotel, Amiens.
|Day 4||Paris||Return to Paris: Visit the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux and the Franco-Australian Museum in the local Victoria School. Stop to explore Le Hamel and then continue to Peronne. On return to Paris, a stop is made at Charles De Gaulle Airport. For those departing in the evening, please do not schedule flights before 20:00. Alternatively, the coach will drop you at Meridien Etoile Paris hotel. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: This trip departs from and concludes at Le Meridien Etoile in Paris. Transfers to this hotel on Day 1 are not included. This trip may be operated by mini-bus without washroom or extra legroom.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class