Brochure Type: Europe & Britain: 2022
Experience a world of natural phenomena: gushing waterfalls, volcanoes and stunning landscapes at every turn. The overwhelming beauty of this country will ensure you will want to return again and again.
- Reykjavik: This evening, delight in a delicious Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant where you round off your journey through one of the world's most naturally beautiful places.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfast (B), 5 Dinner (D), 1 Dinner with Wine (DW)
- Reykjavik: Choose between a visit to Iceland's world-famous Blue Lagoon or alternatively, discover Reykjavik's top sights on a walking tour with your Local Expert.
- Hellisheiði: Visit Iceland's newest geothermal heat and electric power station in Hellisheidi, the second largest of its kind in the world. During this Make Travel Matter experience learn why Hellisheidavirkjun is a world leader in the utilisation of geothermal energy.Hellisheidavirkjun Power Plant, advances SDG 7: Affordable and Clean Energy. The Power Plant has helped Iceland achieve 70% of the country's energy consumption through renewable energy sources.
- Gullfoss: The spectacular two-tiered waterfall, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara falls, drops a total of 32 metres, while spanning the entire width of the Hvita River.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy the scenery like nowhere else in the world, as you travel along the south and east coasts, through the scenic mountain pass of Almannaskard and the Modrudal Desert, past Hvammstangi, along the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and into the Snaefellsjokull National Park.
- Skogafoss: Admire the majestic beauty of these two impressive waterfalls.
- Vik: Enjoy an orientation of Vik, Iceland's seafront village home to black pebble beaches and offshore rock formations.
- Skaftafell: Visit the amazing alpine setting of the National Park and experience the might of Vatnajokull, Europe's largest glacier.
- Lake Jokulsarlon: See the setting for the James Bond film 'Die Another Day'.
- Hofn: Your Travel Director takes you on a short orientation through this seaside village.
- Egilsstadir: Visit this lakeside town.
- Dettifoss: Visit the most powerful waterfall in Europe and see the Godafoss, known as The Waterfall of the Gods.
- Lake Myvatn: Traverse spectacular landscapes of craters, boiling mud pots and geothermal hot springs shooting jets of hot water and steam into the air, at this renowned bird-watching site.
- Akureyri: Your Travel Director will provide an orientation of the capital of northern Iceland, established in 1602.
- Borgarnes: Enjoy an orientation of Borganes, located on a peninsula at the shore of Borgarfjorður coastal region.
- Snaefellsjokull National Park: Enjoy a fascinating exploration of this magnificent park, home to lava formations, waterfalls and the most famous volcano in Iceland.
- Thingvellir: The Parliamentary Plains are the most important historic site in the country, as the meeting place of the Althing, the world's oldest parliament that was founded in A.D. 930.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Call (412) 331-2244 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15392224
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 3/31/2021
- 9 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Reykjavik||The Smoky Bay of Reykjavik: Welcome to Iceland. On arrival at Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport, you will be transferred to your hotel on your complimentary Insight shuttle operated by Gray Line. Join your Travel Director and travel companions at 18:15 for a Welcome Drink served with canapes.|
|Day 2||Vik||Hot Springs and Waterfalls to Vik: Head east to visit Iceland's newest geothermal and electric power station at Hellisheiðavirkjun. Then travel on to the ancient bishopric of Skalholt and see the historic church, set in a remote location amid magnificent natural scenery. Continue to the hot springs at Geysir and the mighty Gullfoss waterfalls, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls. In the afternoon, visit the majestic south coast waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss before continuing to your hotel in Vik. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Hotel Kria, Vik.
|Day 3||Hofn||By Glaciers and Icebergs to Hofn: Travel along the southern coast of Iceland, beside the black sand beaches and basalt rock formations.Continue through the National Park at Skaftafell, where you will see the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajokull.Travel on to the luminous blue icebergs of Lake Jokulsarlon, the highlight of the day. This dramatic setting was featured in two James Bond films.Arrive in the small harbour town of Hofn, an active lobster fishing hub. Your Travel Director takes you on a short orientation.Dine at your hotel's restaurant tonight and experience what the local produce has to offer. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 4||Egilsstaoir||Eastern Fjords to Egilsstaðir: Explore yet another face of Iceland, as you drive through narrow fjords surrounded by steep cliffs past small fishing villages. Catch a glimpse of Friar island, once the home of Gaelic monks settling down before the arrival of the Vikings. Upon arriving to Egilsstaðir you may wish to visit Iceland's first and only geothermal floating pools. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Herad, Egilsstadir.
|Day 5||Akureyri||By Desert, Lakes and Divine Waterfalls to Akureyri: Journey through the sand desert of Moðrudalur to see Dettifoss, the most powerful waterfall in Europe. Continue on to the beautiful Lake Myvatn. This area offers a wide spectrum of geological formations and the concentrated geothermal activity produces mud pools and spectacular coloured deposits. Continue to Akureyri where you have the evening to relax or explore at your leisure. Perhaps embark on an optional whale watching experience? (available during whale season) (Breakfast)|
Hotel Kea Akureyri.
|Day 6||Borgarnes||From the Capital of the North to Borgarnes: Enjoy an orientation of Akureyri, the capital of northern Iceland, first established as a trading centre in 1602. Travel past mountains, waterfalls and green coastal regions to Hvammstangi. Later, continue on to the southwest coast of Borgarnes. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Hamar, Borganes.
|Day 7||Snaefellsjokull National Park||Exploring Snaefellsjokull National Park: Travel along the Snaefellsnes Peninsula to Snaefellsjokull National Park, known as the Jewel of West Iceland and home to the country's most famous volcano. See the magnificent Snaefellsjokull glacier surrounded by unspoiled natural beauty. En route, admire the impressive landscapes of Buðir, offering a mixture of sandy hills, black lava fields and a yellow beach. Next, take a stroll along the sea cliffs of Arnastapi with it's unique columnar rock formations while taking in the beautiful scenery. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Hamar, Borganes.
|Day 8||Reykjavik||Thingvellir, Blue Lagoon and on to Reykjavik: Journey south to Thingvellir, a remarkable UNESCO World Heritage Site that lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet.Explore Reykjavik with Insight Choice. Choose between visiting the mineral-rich waters of the Blue Lagoon or alternatively, discover Reykjavik's top sights on a walking tour with your Local Expert.This evening, delight in a delicious Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant where you round off your journey through one of the world's most naturally beautiful places. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Reykjavik||Farewell Reykjavik: Your Icelandic adventure comes to an end, with a transfer to Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Notes: This is a 2022 Preview itinerary. Please refer to the booking conditions page for full terms and conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class